This Episode: Uncommon Sense – with Ollie Martin and Nick Thomas
With a new year focus upon health, performance and wellbeing, Lucinda talks to Performance Coach, Ollie Martin and Professional Coach, Nick Thomas, about what “Uncommon Sense” can mean in terms of performance and development, and how we as HR professionals can help others to take better care of themselves while also ensuring our own performance is as effective as possible.
- Fitness and activity have become more seldom in our daily routines with the rise of remote working. It’s now become common to not move as much during our day, which is impacting society’s fitness levels.
- Businesses have been slow to respond to the physical wellbeing of their people, but with the advent of COVID, there has been a shift and a tipping point has now been reached. They have begun to recognise the value in ensuring health.
- Our hearts pump 7200 times a day and without movement to aid it, it can become far more worn than usual. We need to move in order to keep our hearts healthy.
- Helping people in wellbeing terms can begin with policy. Are we ensuring that lunch breaks are being taken? Are we ensuring that burnout isn’t taking place due to over work? We can lead from the top.
Best Moments from ‘Uncommon Sense – with Ollie Martin and Nick Thomas‘
‘The thing about common sense is that it isn’t all that common’
‘We look at how we can make people healthier’
‘How can you build movement snacks into your day?’
‘We’re looking at setting a culture for long term health and wellbeing’
About The Guest, Ollie Martin and Nick Thomas
Ollie Martin has a background in sport (Rugby Union) and a sports science degree. He is a sports scientist, athlete and health coach with over 20 years experience in helping people perform better in their lives. He initially worked in sports coaching, fitness equipment marketing and event management before setting up a personal training business in 2002. Ollie has developed the 5/5 Performance framework which is then tailored to individual clients and has helped thousands of people including coach potatoes, high flying execs, athletes and retirees.
Nick Thomas is a highly trained consultative sales specialist with a background in sales and national sales leadership within the Insurance Broking space. Uniquely, he is also a widely qualified professional coach, consultant and trainer. Training associates are selected for their high level of expertise and experience within the Insurance market, allied to strong training credentials. Lastly, Nick Thomas oversees all training content design and delivery.
- Linkedin – Nick Thomas & Associates company LinkedIn page
- Nick Thomas | LinkedIn
- Ollie Martin | LinkedIn
- http://www.olliemartin.com/ – Ollie website
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
How To Be A Change Superhero – by Lucinda Carney
- New Resource: Actus Survey Directory
- New Resource: The Actus 360 Question Directory
- Infographic: Winter Wellbeing Suggestions
- Blog: Why is HR putting their own wellbeing last?
- Slides: Supporting Employee Wellbeing through Change
- Additional free HR Resources
- Virtual Training Programmes
If you liked this episode, try these
- The Wellbeing Protocol – with Dr Georgi Toma (Podcast Episode 122)
- Wellbeing And Health In Business – with Anna Harrington (Podcast Episode 103)
- Practical Wellbeing Strategies (Podcast Episode 63)
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel