This Episode: The Power of Effective Teams with Jo Keeler
This week’s HR Uprising episode features Lucinda in conversation with Jo Keeler, the Managing Partner at Belbin Team Roles. They explore a wide range of team-related topics and Jo explains the value of understanding our team role preferences and applying this knowledge in the workplace.
- Do different team roles fit different professions?
- Validity and reliability of Belbin
- How to play to your strengths
- The symphonic C-Suite
- Connecting Teams
- “We have to value different behaviours, even if it’s not our preference – bring me tea, bring me biscuits because I have to be a Completer Finisher here”
- “If we are going to embrace teamwork, it needs to be teamwork up and down the organisation, particularly at the very top”
- “HR can be the connector between these different teams”
Please find links below to previous podcasts mentioned by Lucinda on this week’s episode.
- HR on Purpose with Steve Browne: https://hruprising.com/episode-25-hr-on-purpose-with-steve-browne/
- The Strengths-Based Organisation with Emily Hutchinson: https://hruprising.com/episode-the-strengths-based-organisation-with-emily-hutchinson/
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Actus Software resource particularly relevant to this podcast: Building an Effective Team
Belbin Articles and Research
- Belbin in a nutshell: https://www.belbin.com/media/1488/team-roles-in-a-nutshell.pdf
- Authentic Leadership: https://www.belbin.com/media/2630/belbin2018-authentic-leadership.pdf
- Belbin and Entrepreneurship: https://www.belbin.com/media/2222/belbin2018-entrepreneurship.pdf
- Belbin and Culture: How do we address cultural variation? http://www.belbin.com/media/1935/belbin-white-paper-culture-and-belbin-team-roles.pdf
- Belbin and Virtual Teams: https://www.belbin.com/media/2109/belbin2018-virtual-teams.pdf
- Belbin and Lean Teams: https://www.belbin.com/media/2183/belbin2018-lean-teams.pdf
- All the statistics behind the Reports: Team Roles: A Comprehensive Review: http://www.belbin.com/media/1158/belbin-uk-2014-a-comprehensive-review.pdf
- Copyright: Please do check this link if you are using a paper-based version of the Belbin Self-Perception Inventory.
Deloitte – Human Capital Report
- 2016: https://dupress.deloitte.com/dup-us-en/focus/human-capital-trends/2016.html
- 2018: https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/human-capital/topics/human-capital-trends.html – this includes a link to the Symphonic C-Suite concept
Gallup – Employee Engagement
About The Guest
Jo Keeler leads strategic and operational activities for Belbin world-wide. A long-established and highly respected workplace tool, Belbin enables people to understand their own strengths and weaknesses – and helps organisations bring together the right people to form high performing teams. In addition to shaping Belbin for the next generation, Jo speaks internationally on the subject of teams – the challenges, the importance, and future of, and how to help teams reach their potential.
- Jo Keeler on Twitter – https://twitter.com/jokeeler
- Jo Keeler on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/jokeeler/
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. It was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising