This Episode: HR on Purpose with Steve Browne
To celebrate the 25th Episode of the HR Uprising Lucinda is proud to welcome a member of the ‘Twitterati’: HR Practitioner, influencer, author and speaker from the US: Steve Browne. Watch the introduction to the podcast here or listen to the full podcast above.
Steve is the author of the best selling book ‘HR On Purpose’ and has had almost 30 years of experience in HR and is absolutely passionate about the power of being ‘people-centric’ as an HR professional. He shares personal anecdotes and stories from his best-selling business book ‘HR on Purpose’ and gives an insight into what drives his passion for the profession.
One of Steve’s natural talents is collaboration and building networks and we explore the differences in networking styles on each side of the ‘pond’ and feel encouraged to reach out and encourage others to be part of the #HRUprising.
Despite his huge social media presence, Steve is the epitome of humility and ‘Keeping it Real’. We hope you enjoy our ‘Silver Jubilee Episode’ with Steve Browne. Don’t forget to link in and connect with him and the rest of the HR network out there, it is a great place to learn and grow.
- It’s obvious, but we must always remember that if we help the team thrive and grow, we help the business grow..
- We should stop thinking that the only way of having a voice in the organisation is by climbing the ladder. We all have a voice, let’s use it.
- HR on Purpose is about being Strategic – it is about being the Chess player rather than the Checkers player. It is also about understanding the business requirements while at all times being human.
- Go out of your way to encourage others, when we do that, we also fill ourselves up
- Make time to network – even if on a small scale, remember to be genuine, always follow through and connect people with a purpose.
- Brits are a bit more reserved on social media than the US but that doesn’t mean we can’t encourage each other.
- Always be courageous and brave in what you’re doing.
- “I’d like to see HR embrace who they are, own who they are, and show people how wonderful is it as a field.”
- “You do what you can instead of worrying what you can’t do.”
- “Every person you meet is different. Everybody has different life experiences, different backgrounds. You can’t just be one flavour to everybody.”
- “A strategic person needs to get all the aspects of people.”
- HR on Purpose: Developing Deliberate People Passion by Steve Browne – https://www.Amazon.com/HR-Purpose-Developing-Deliberate-Passion-ebook/dp/B071WMPVLB
- You can access additional free HR Resources via the Actus Software website link below. Lucinda Carney is the founder and CEO of Actus Software: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
About The Guest
Steve Browne is the Vice President of Human Resources for LaRosa’s, Inc. – a regional Pizzeria restaurant chain in Southwest Ohio with 13 locations and over 1,200 Team Members.
Steve has been an HR professional for 30+ years and has worked in the Hospitality, Manufacturing, Consumer Products, and Professional Services industries in various HR roles.
He is currently a member of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Board of Directors and has been a member of the Membership Advisory Council (MAC) representative for the North Central Region of SHRM and Past Ohio State Council Director. He facilitates a monthly HR Roundtable as well as an HR internet forum, called the HR Net, which reaches over 12,000+ people globally each week.
Steve is an accomplished speaker who has been featured at local, regional and national Conferences, Chambers of Commerce, HR chapters and businesses.
He’s very active in Social Media and has a nationally recognised HR blog – Everyday People. (http://sbrownehr.com) He also has authored the bestselling book “HR on Purpose !!” which looks at Human Resources from a fresh, positive and intentional perspective.
- Steve Browne on Twitter – https://twitter.com/sbrownehr
- Steve Browne on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/steveb5/
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. It was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising