This Episode: Virtual People & Performance Management – Manage Performance
How do we manage performance effectively? During this Virtual People & Performance Management series, we have seen that if we are consistent in following the skills outlined in our PERFORM model then the chances of encountering an instance of underperformance are dramatically reduced. However, we know from our HR Uprising audience that managing underperformance is a persistent concern. Furthermore, for many businesses it is likely increased without the perceived assurance of seeing people physically.
In this week’s episode of Virtual People & Performance Management Lucinda explores how best we can manage performance. Indeed, why now is the time for all people managers to develop the skills needed to get the best out of their people and this is largely about clear, courageous conversations.
The host of the HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, and author of the best-selling book ‘How to be a Change Superhero’.
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- Hybrid Management Training Course
- Virtual Management Podcast Short Series Playlist
- “How Full is Your Bucket.” – Tom Rath
- Actus Software resources particularly relevant to this podcast:
- Furthermore, you can find additional free HR Resources on the Actus Website: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Change Superhero Resources
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
- Latest Performance Management Blog
- Certainly, as soon as we start making judgements about the individual, based on our perception of their behaviour, we run the risk of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
- Indeed, maintaining rapport and trust throughout the process are essential for an effective diagnosis as well as establishing a foundation of trust for the future.
- Without doubt, the most common cause of underperformance is lack of clarity…and guess whose responsibility it is to ensure their staff member has clarity about what is expected?
- Provide development opportunities that suit the way that individual learns best whether online or by buddying with others. Furthermore, consider how shared learning activities can be set up virtually and encourage a culture of self and virtual team development.
- ‘The way we choose to deliver the message on underperformance may be the difference between being perceived as an inspirational leader our a tyrant – our choice!’
- ‘It is far better for everyone if we can gather the courage to meet underperformance head on, but with empathy.’
- ‘It’s more effective to turn an underperformer round than it is to start again from scratch. The long-term benefits of such courageous conversations can be far reaching for all.’
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel