This Episode: Virtual People & Performance Management – Recognise
How do we ensure we recognise people in this hybrid working environment? As we discussed in the episode on feedback, being out of sight really can make identifying the opportunity to provide feedback more difficult. Certainly, the absence of company events like sales conferences and monthly meetings, that previously provided space for formal recognition, has made things more challenging.
In this week’s episode of Virtual People & Performance Management Lucinda discusses the importance of regular recognition and praise. Furthermore, how we can recognise our employee’s achievements, whilst working remotely.
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- Hybrid Management Training Course
- Virtual Management Podcast Short Series Playlist
- “How Full is Your Bucket.” – Tom Rath
- The host of the HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, and author of the best-selling book ‘How to be a Change Superhero’.
- Actus Software resources particularly relevant to this podcast:
- Furthermore, you can find additional free HR Resources on the Actus Website: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Change Superhero Resources
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
- Latest Performance Management Blog
- Certainly, finding the opportunity to provide recognition has been negatively affected by remote working with people being ‘out of sight, out of mind’.
- If we are following the PERFORM model we will know our individual employees well enough to understand their motivations. Indeed, how best to recognise them.
- Certainly, it’s been proven, that as humans we are preconditioned to focus on the negatives. To counteract we should be aiming for 3 to 5 times as many positive instances of feedback to one developmental.
- In a virtual world we can set reminders to implement recognition. However, this is only effective if feedback is sincere.
- ‘The most effective recognition is when we understand what type of feedback people need, what is positive to them’
- ‘Create the habit of catching people doing things right’
- ‘Recognition is about sincere verbal acknowledgement of the small things’
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel