This Episode: Virtual People & Performance Management – Ownership Culture
An Ownership culture is a key differentiator between those businesses that are thriving in these virtual times and those that are struggling. Furthermore, high trust cultures where managers are modelling the PERFORM behaviours that we are discussing in this Virtual People & Performance Management series have a key skill prevalent in managers. The ability to coach rather than direct performance. Indeed, coaching creates accountability and ownership which leads to autonomy, motivation and creativity.
In this week’s episode of Virtual People & Performance Management Lucinda sheds light on Ownership Culture and why it is so imperative now, more than ever.
- Hybrid Management Training Course
- Virtual Management Podcast Short Series Playlist
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- The host of the HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, and author of the best-selling book ‘How to be a Change Superhero’.
- Actus Software resources particularly relevant to this podcast:
- Furthermore, you can find additional free HR Resources on the Actus Website: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Change Superhero Resources
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
- Latest Performance Management Blog
- Indeed, coaching is not a chat, it has a specific purpose which is to promote the coachee to do the thinking and in most cases come up with the actions or solutions.
- In this context of manager as coach to promote ownership, we will refer to the well-known structure of GROW which stands for Goal, Reality, Options and Will.
- Certainly, once goals have been established it’s important to clarify the current reality in order to identify key obstacles or priorities that need to be overcome in order to achieve the agreed expectations.
- Demonstrate that you believe in the individual and their ability to find solutions through supportive language and tone of voice. Furthermore, and especially in a virtual environment, listen to tonality to determine levels of commitment.
- ‘Many managers think they are coaching when they are chatting or directing’
- ‘Enabling ownership and accountability is key to successful virtual performance management’
- ‘The GROW model provides a coaching structure to encourage ownership and self-development’
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel