This Episode: Virtual People & Performance Management – Feedback Development
Halfway through our new mini-series, Virtual People & Performance Management, Lucinda discusses the ‘Feedback Development’ element of the PERFORM model. When it comes to managing performance effectively, research consistently shows that goal setting combined with regular feedback are the two most effective ways of maximising individual and organisational performance.
Indeed, the ability to provide good quality feedback is a necessary skill for people managers. In this episode on feedback development you will take away practical advice on what to avoid, how to deliver feedback well and, furthermore, keeping your feedback as specific as possible.
- People Management Essentials Training Course
- Virtual Management Podcast Short Series Playlist
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- The host of the HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, and author of the best-selling book ‘How to be a Change Superhero’.
- Actus Software resources particularly relevant to this podcast:
- Furthermore, you can find additional free HR Resources on the Actus Website: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Change Superhero Resources
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
- Latest Performance Management Blog
- Good feedback is behavioural and specific as it helps people to understand exactly what they need to do again or differently at a behavioural level. Furthermore, it isn’t judging their capabilities or them as a person.
- If we get into the habit of providing regular positive feedback, this forms a foundation of trust when we need to give developmental feedback.
- Certainly, by storing up developmental feedback for the annual performance review we could be allowing bad habits to stick. Furthermore, the individual will be left wondering why you didn’t tell them earlier.
- Without doubt, regular feedback drives high performance and motivation.
- ‘Neuroscience suggests feedback invokes our fight or flight response’
- ‘Habitual, regular positive feedback builds trust’
- ‘Feedback helps the individual feel their productivity is valued, thus optimising performance’
- ‘Ideal feedback is overwhelmingly specific with a balance of positive and developmental pointers.’
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel