This Episode: Addressing The Loneliness Epidemic – with Steven Van Cohen
Steven is a global leadership consultant, executive coach, Wall Street Journal bestselling author, and globally recognised specialist in the art of connection building and leadership.
In this episode, Steven talks to Lucinda about an all-new epidemic in the workplace – loneliness – and how we can increase a sense of belonging in order to promote talent acquisition and retention in our organisations.
- Loneliness has a direct correlation and is an underlying component to most mental health disorders, such as anxiety, depression and suicide.
- Loneliness is growing, in large part, due to the increase in use of social media, which connects us remotely, but also isolates us socially.
- In the workplace, before today’s world, if we needed help, then we sought out the guidance of another human being. Nowadays we seek e-learnings which as created huge separations.
- If we feel the sense that our working environment is overly professional, and that we cannot show up as our “true self”, then this can lead to a sense of alienation. People do not see us, but instead the avatar that we bring into the workplace.
Best Moments from ‘Addressing The Loneliness Epidemic – with Steven Van Cohen‘
‘Loneliness has been a key contributor to mental health disorders’
‘This has created huge separations’
‘Dependency shift is a huge driver in why people are feeling more lonely’
‘We have less margin to actually connect with the people around us’
Get your copy of How To Be A Change Superhero by emailing at email@example.com
- New Info-book: Rethinking Performance Appraisals
- Additional free HR Resources
- Virtual Training Programmes
If you liked this episode, try these
- Podcast Episode 107: Belonging At Work – with Aoife O’Brien
- Podcast Episode 153: How to build a Culture Of Psychological Safety
About The Guest, Steven Van Cohen
Steven Van Cohen is a Wall Street Journal bestselling author, internationally recognized leadership consultant and executive coach.
For over a decade, Steven has helped leading organizations improve worker well-being, reduce employee disconnection and boost team belonging. Steven’s top-ranked insights have been featured in CNBC, Forbes, Fortune, Fast Company, and Inc. Steven holds a MSOD from Pepperdine University and a Bachelor of Arts from The University of Illinois. He is co-founder of LessLonely.com and resides in sunny California with his wife and two daughters.
His latest book is Connectable – How Leaders Can Move Teams From Isolated To All In.
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel