This Episode: Building a Collaborative Culture – with Deb Mashek
Building a successful business is all about the art of collaboration, and harnessing the varied and empowering talents of others in order to build strength. With this in mind, Lucinda welcomes Deb Mashek, the author of ‘Collabor(h)ate’, to explore the importance of Building a Collaborative Culture , and how we can work to create a culture that encourages rather than divides.
- Some are more naturally collaborative than others, and seek to work alone. We should reframe it as a resource for sharing, rather than a divisive experience.
- When looking at collaborative individuals, there are three parts to consider – skill-sets, positives mindsets regarding collaboration, and historical learnings.
- Interdependence is the extent to which our outcomes are dependent on other people’s behaviours. This is about how work is structured measured and rewarded.
- To move projects forward, we have to figure out what we’re trying to do, which voices we’re generally hearing from, and making sure that we’re including others who don’t usually get heard.
Best Moments from Building a Collaborative Culture – with Deb Mashek
‘I’m a social psychologist on a mission to make wonderful collaborations in the workplace’
‘There are so many ways of working together’
‘We can learn from each other in a way that makes it easier to do better work’
‘Partnerships and collaboration helps us all to be more successful’
- Webinar Slides: How to plan and manage Culture Change
- 7 ways to create an effective learning culture in a digital world
- New Info-book: Rethinking Performance Appraisals
- New Resource: Actus Survey Directory
- Resource: The Actus 360 Question Directory
- Additional free HR Resources
- Virtual Training Programmes
If you liked this episode, try these
- Podcast Episode 178: Sustainable Working Cultures – with Anna Meller
- Podcast Episode 153: How to build a Culture Of Psychological Safety
- Culture Category
About The Guest, Deb Mashek
Dr. Deb Mashek, PhD is an experienced business advisor, professor, higher education administrator, and national nonprofit executive. Previously Full Professor of social psychology at Harvey Mudd College, she is the author of Collabor(h)ate: How to build incredibly collaborative relationships at work (even if you’d rather work alone). Named one of the Top 35 Women in Higher Education by Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, she has been featured in media outlets including The New York Times, The Atlantic, Business Week, The Hechinger Report, and Fortune. She writes regularly for Psychology Today.
Deb is the founder of Myco Consulting LLC, where she speaks, advises, and provides professional development to those seeking to build better workplace collaborations.
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel