This Episode: Working With Cancer
Lucinda is joined by Barbara Wilson and Dr Liz O’Riordan, to discuss the important topic of working with cancer. As professionals who have both experienced this devastating condition up close, Barbara and Liz share their invaluable insights, discussing all-important legal entitlements, and the best ways of ensuring that those who find themselves suffering through a cancer diagnosis are treated with the utmost care, respect and fairness at a time when it is needed most.
- Most medical directors and HR line managers are not aware that once diagnosed with cancer, you are legally disabled and have certain rights.
- One in two of us will be diagnosed with cancer in our lifetime – a huge number representing half the population. 1000 people are diagnosed every day.
- Some organisations have great policies, while others have none in place. Some have great policies but no structure for rolling it out on a local basis. We need a sense of uniformity and order.
- A terrifying statistic is that many women suffering through cancer do not tell their places of work for fear of being “retired”. They carry on and push themselves to the limit, making themselves even worse.
Best Moments from ‘Working With Cancer‘
‘She gave me the power to say that this is what I am entitled to’
‘More and more of us are surviving cancer and want to return to work’
‘Some HR teams don’t understand their responsibilities’
- Practical Wellbeing Resources
- How to create a positive mental health culture within a hybrid workplace
- New Info-book: Rethinking Performance Appraisals
- Resource: Actus Survey Directory
- Resource: The Actus 360 Question Directory
- Additional free HR Resources
- Virtual Training Programmes
If you liked this episode, try these
- Our new ‘How to…’ Series
- Podcast Episode 103: Wellbeing And Health In Business – with Anna Harrington
- Practical Wellbeing Strategies
About The Guests, Barbara Wilson and Dr Liz O’Riordan
Publicis Groupe Working with Cancer Pledge
- Website – https://www.workingwithcancerpledge.com/
- Pledge – https://www.workingwithcancerpledge.com/about-the-pledge
Barbara Wilson– Founder and Director of Working With Cancer.
Barbara is a senior HR professional with over 40 years’ experience. In 2005, after being diagnosed with breast cancer and based on her professional and personal experience, Barbara set up a group with the aim of helping those of working age affected by cancer to return successfully to work. The group was the first to develop guidelines on work and cancer for HR professionals, line managers, employees and carers.
Barbara is a member of the CIPD, trained as a coach at Ashridge Management College, and is married with two sons.
- Website https://workingwithcancer.co.uk/
- LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/working-with-cancer/
- Instagram @workingwithcanceruk
- Twitter @WorkWithCancer
Dr Liz O’Riordan
Liz was a 40-year-old consultant breast surgeon when she was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in July 2015. She suddenly realised that she had no idea what it was like to be a patient, despite spending her working life treating the disease. She started an award-winning blog to help doctors and patients see what having breast cancer is really like, in a friendly, informative way and now speaks all over the world about her experiences, including a TEDx talk (Jar of Joy), focusing on digital healthcare, self-care, and how to improve the patient experience. Her upcoming memoir comes out on 6th July 2023.
- Book pre-order details: https://unbound.com/books/under-the-knife
- Speaker, Author and Storyteller – liz.oriordan.co.uk
- Podcast Host – Don’t Ignore The Elephant
- Co-author of ‘The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer’
- Instagram @oriordanliz
- Twitter @Liz_ORiordan
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel