This Episode: Tips From The Maverick Mediator
Anthony Munday – also known as the Maverick Mediator – is the award-winning CEO of TM Development Associates Limited. This is a Consultancy that delivers conflict resolution development for managers, accredited ACAS mediation, accredited Structured Debriefing and leadership mentoring. Anthony specialises in mediating conflicted senior teams and complex, long-standing disputes.
Anthony joins Lucinda to talk about the subject of conflict in the workplace and what we can do about it as HR professionals.
- The most successful way to defuse potentially combative situations is to take an early approach – a proactive stance on conflict resolution.
- Arbitration is different from mediation. Arbitration is when an external party comes into a situation, listens to both sides, and makes the situation clearer.
- Mediation is the art of building rapport, building trust and building confidence. Often by gaining complete trust, we can get to the root causes of conflict, which can stem from past trauma.
- Time limits on mediation are incredibly disrespectful, We cannot hope to build trust if the clock is ticking
Best Moments from ‘Tips From The Maverick Mediator ‘
‘I adopted a coaching style of leadership’
‘You can’t entirely eradicate conflict’
‘The nature of mediation is variable’
‘It’s entirely about rapport, building trust and confidence’
- Blog: The Battle Of The Generations At Work
- Slides: Building an Effective Team
- New Info-book: Rethinking Performance Appraisals
- Resource: Actus Survey Directory
- Resource: The Actus 360 Question Directory
- Additional free HR Resources
- Virtual Training Programmes
If you liked this episode, try these
- Our new ‘How to…’ Series
- Podcast Episode 133: Addressing Workplace Bullying – with Nicki Eyre and Cathie Donaldson
- Podcast Episode 41: Building Teams for Success: Avoid the 5 Dysfunctions
About The Guest, The Maverick Mediator (Anthony Munday)
Anthony Munday is the award-winning CEO of TM Development Associates Limited. Anthony specialises in mediating conflicted senior teams and complex, long-standing disputes. Clients include public sector, private sector and Trades Unions. Whilst a police officer, his work in decriminalising drunk and incapable people directly resulted in the law in England and Wales being changed by the Home Secretary.
Anthony is accredited in Structured Debriefing. He has delivered this to public and private organisations. At national level, on behalf of Centrex, in October 2006, he delivered a structured debrief concerning policing of a climate protest. His report was incorporated in ‘Adapting to Protest, nurturing the model of British Policing’ by Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Constabulary (HMIC).
He has enhanced the ACAS Model of Mediation in two ways that are well received by participants and organisations. Anthony created a unique Pre-Mediation Meeting that enables traumatised participants to develop a deep-seated rapport with him and to have trust, confidence and engagement with the mediation process.
He is the author of ‘The Essential Heart of a Leader’ and the forthcoming ‘The Maverick Mediator ‘.
- Maverick Mediator – https://www.maverickmediator.co.uk
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel