This Episode: Is The Great Resignation Real? – with Mervyn Dinnen
In this week’s show, Lucinda talks once more to Mervyn Dinnen, HR and talent trends analyst, author, speaker and renowned tech influencer, about the concept of “The Great Resignation” – what it means for talent management in 2022, and whether it is actually real.
- People are finding that there are more resignations out there right now. This seems to have originated in the US. in the UK, it coincided mainly with the end of furlough.
- Many took second jobs during the lockdown, meaning that not only were they receiving furlough money, but also a second income. As furlough came to an end and workers resumed their positions, many were quitting their second jobs, which has skewed the figures.
- Deciding upon whether to work remotely or not largely depends on factors such as age and class. Many young people are eager to return to the workplace in order to socialise, while older workers prefer to work from home.
- ‘The Great Resignation’ is happening on a large scale, but this is mainly due to the rebalancing of the workplace in the new hybrid world, coupled with unprecedented factors stemming from the pandemic.
- We should not be on the look out for signs and symptoms all the time. We must not confuse a “Wellness Week” with a “Sickness Week”. Look for ways to reinforce positive psychology.
When there’s a trend, it’s how you interpret the reasons’
‘There was an element of quitting second jobs, which inflated the figure a little bit’
‘We’ve got not just age, but different perspectives depending on what life is’
‘Because of a number of external factors, it looks like a wave’
About The Guest
Mervyn Dinnen is an HR & Talent analyst and researcher, who also partners with HR and Recruitment technology businesses to report on the emerging trends impacting hiring, retention, development and engagement. Furthermore, he is recognised as a Global HR Technology influencer, has authored the books ‘Exceptional Talent’ and the forthcoming ‘Digital Talent’. Lastly, he is an International speaker on recruitment and HR trends.
Connect with Mervyn Dinnen:
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources:
- All free resources: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Introducing the new Actus Academy: your on-demand e-learning platform!
- Virtual Training Programmes:
- Change Superhero Resources:
- Book: How To Be A Change Superhero – by Lucinda Carney
- Free Change Toolkit: www.changesuperhero.com
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
Links related to this episode
- HR Zone Magazine article: https://www.hrzone.com/perform/people/taking-care-of-hr-bringing-supportive-supervision-to-those-who-need-it-most
- Ultimate Resilience website: https://ultimateresilience.co.uk/
- Supervision for Resilience Service website: https://supervisionservice.co.uk/
- Link to full article on our model: https://bpspsychub.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/joop.12340
If you liked this episode, try these
How to prioritise self care
Mental Health first aid
The Wellbeing Protocol with Dr Georgi Toma
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel