This Episode: Managing Grievances – with Katy McMinn
In this week’s edition of the “HR’s Role In…” series, Lucinda talks to Katy McMinn, the founder of Task HR, and co-founder of HR Independents, about the process of managing grievances – what exactly is HR’s role in the process, and how we can remain compliant and balanced throughout.
- Indeed, disciplinaries and grievances are not the same, and should not be treated as such. Grievances are about providing employees with a formal route to voice issues they may have with the workplace.
- Certainly, the first thing to consider is who will be involved in the grievance process. Furthermore, we must consider all parties that may have a stake and offer them the chance to be a part of the resolution.
- If an organisation is small, it may be worth looking for external support in terms of an adjudicator so as to prevent bias, and the matching of someone ill-suited to a role in the grievance process.
- Lastly, we must enter the grievance process with an open mind, free from assumptions or personal bias. We must endeavour to remember that grievances are fundamentally a way of making things better in the long run.
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- The HR Uprising ranked 9th in Feedspot’s ‘Top 30 UK HR Podcasts You Must Follow in 2021’.
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources:
- All free resources: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- NEW infographic: 10 Steps to Creating a Successful Hybrid Workplace
- Introducing the new Actus Academy: your on-demand e-learning platform!
- Virtual Training Programmes:
- Change Superhero Resources:
- HR’s Role In episodes:
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
‘It’s providing the opportunity for an individual to raise concerns’
‘Ask them to talk it through in their own words, so that you can really understand the nature of it’
‘Go into this with an open mind’
‘It’s about being objective, open minded, and listening to what’s being said’
About The Guest, Katy McMinn
Over the last 20 years, Katy has developed strong, hands-on HR expertise working for blue chip companies. This includes General Electric, Shell and Ernst & Young, as well as providing independent HR consultancy. Also, she has an MSc in Human Resources Consultancy. Katy is also is fully CIPD qualified and is accredited in the use of a range of personality tools to enhance individual and team performance. Lastly, Katy runs her own HR consultancy practice and specialises in employee engagement, culture and values, recruitment and employee relations.
Task HR – https://www.taskhr.co.uk/about
Katy McMinn LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/katy-mcminn/?originalSubdomain=uk
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel