This Episode: Data Protection – with Mary Asante
In this episode, Lucinda talks to Mary Asante from HR Independents, about the role that HR plays in effective data protection, the guidance you need when it comes to GDPR compliance, and why it matters so much when it comes to your business’s reputation and credibility.
- Data security is about protecting valuable information from unauthorised access, preserving the integrity of the data and ensuring that the data is available to authorised users when needed.
- As a consultant, data breach may result in damage to your reputation and decrease your clients confidence in your ability to protect their valuable information, which could therefore lead to loss of clients and business.
- Record keeping and data cleansing in line with employment, financial and health and safety legislation is key to remaining GDPR compliant.
- Subject Access Request – data subjects can ask to see information that organisations hold on them. This must be provided to the data subject within 30 days of receipt. If the request is complex, the 30 day period can be extended for a further two months
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- The HR Uprising ranked 9th in Feedspot’s ‘Top 30 UK HR Podcasts You Must Follow in 2021’.
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources:
- All free resources: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- NEW infographic: 10 Steps to Creating a Successful Hybrid Workplace
- Introducing the new Actus Academy: your on-demand e-learning platform!
- Virtual Training Programmes:
- Change Superhero Resources:
- HR’s Role In episodes:
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
‘As consultants we use technology for our businesses all the time. That’s why protecting our devices is very important’
‘Previously you had HR records in a locked filing cabinet!’
‘You should be quite careful about who you give administrator status to. It’s a great responsibility’
‘Policies and procedures don’t fail. What fails are the people implementing the policies and procedures’
About The Guest, Mary Asante
Mary has worked across the full HR Spectrum and has supported businesses in different sectors, predominantly start-ups, SMEs and in the IT sector. In addition to HR, Mary has a broad range of skills, knowledge and qualifications in Information & Cyber security, and Health and Safety. Also, she is a Chartered Fellow of CIPD and CISM and a Lead ISO27001 Auditor. Lastly, Mary runs her own consultancy and specialises in coaching and leadership development.
Mary Asante at HR Independents: https://hrindependents.co.uk/author/maryasante/
Connect with Mary Asante on Twitter
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles. Lucinda also has a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel