This Episode: REAL HR with Julia Crawford
In the latest instalment of the Real HR series, Lucinda talks to Julia Crawford.
Indeed, Julia is unique in many ways, as she holds an interesting dual role; that of Head Of HR for a Kent concern, and as consultant with People Pillar, who supply “pragmatic, business focused solutions and expert HR advice” to many small businesses.
Julia discusses the challenges of working from both the inside and the outside of organisations, the importance of taking risks from time to time, and the importance of confidence.
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Virtual Change Superhero Training
- The HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- Change Superhero Resources
- Latest Performance Management Blog
- Being a training professional and an Human Resources professional are very different pursuits. Many see these two things as the same role, but they require completely different skill-sets.
- Taking risks is very important, or we can find ourselves in a state of stagnation. We can never quite know every variable, but unless we try we’ll never know.
- All HR processes and skills can be learned. The main element we need to develop internally is how we interact with people, and how to be more confident in our abilities.
- There will never be a one-size-fits-all solution to every problem. People are complex beings, and arrive at every challenge with emotional and personal baggage that may be invisible from the outside.
‘You’re the expert. You know what you’re talking about. You just need to portray that’
‘There are different skill-sets within that HR banner’
‘I do genuinely love the problem-solving part of HR’
‘I want to be able to work with small businesses where I know I can make a difference’
About The Guest
Julia Crawford is a senior HR professional with nearly 20 years’ experience spanning HR consultancy, people management, employee relations, operational HR and change management. Furthermore, Julia has worked for a number of different organisations in a range of industries including the public sector, retail, manufacturing and aviation.
She lives in Kent with her partner, Barrie and her daughter, Niamh. They also have two Boston Terriers, Mimi and Ralph. When Julia manages to get a minute to herself she loves reading and could quite easily lose herself in a book for hours. Indeed, Julia loves reading on holiday even more, especially if you add cheese and wine to the equation! On the flip side, she hates running but has stupidly signed up to the couch to 5k challenge because she likes cheese and wine too much!
Julia Crawford LinkedIn
People Pillar – https://www.peoplepillar.co.uk
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Indeed it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel