Welcome back to The HR Uprising Podcast!
This is a specialist subject aimed at HR; L&D and Compliance Professionals within the Financial Services Industry who are having to implement SM&CR or the Senior Manager and Certification Regime.
This Episode: SMCR and Culture Change (webinar recording)
This episode is a recording of a recent webinar covering SMCR and Culture Change and looks at how HR and Compliance can collaborate around SMCR and use it as a catalyst for Culture Change. This includes:
- Aligning Certification with the Performance Management Cycle
- Avoiding the introduction of a tickbox process
- Incorporating conduct behaviours into values frameworks
Remember – When we look up together we rise up together!
- SMCR brings together HR professionals and compliance professionals. This can be useful in improving accountability and behaviours in the firm.
- Where are you in your SMCR readiness? Have you done your mapping? Do you know the roles? Are you ready to get a system in place?
- Year-long cycle on how to integrate both processes:
- Establish responsibilities at the start of the year.
- Prepare performance objectives.
- Have regular one-to-ones so you can oversee that duties are being done.
- Track your CPDs in month 3.
- Do a conduct and certification review in month 6.
- At the end of the year, focus more on performance review.
- On month 9, talk about career aspirations.
- 5 Rules on Conduct and Certification:
- Act with integrity
- Act with due skill care and diligence.
- Be open and cooperative with FCA, PRA, and other regulators.
- Pay due regards to the interest of the customers and treat them fairly.
- Observe proper standards of market conduct.
- “You may already have an established performance management process. If that is the case, then it will be a good idea to start with that and integrate certification and conduct in your existing process.”
- “The biggest criticism about an appraisal is it gets described as a tickbox exercise. You absolutely don’t want that to happen.”
- “My concern with tick boxes is there is no room for development and growth.”
- You can access free HR Resources via the Actus Software website link below. Lucinda Carney is the founder and CEO of Actus Software: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- One resource, in particular, you may find of value is this white paper on SM&CR and Culture Change: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/whitepapers/how-can-smcr-drive-real-culture-change/
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. It was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising