This Episode: Diagnosing and Influencing Culture
The culture of our businesses is a topic that everyone seems to be fascinated by, but how can we make sure that we are accurately diagnosing the culture that’s already there so that we can influence it for the future? Certainly diagnosing your organisation’s culture is key to influencing long-lasting change.
In this week’s episode, Lucinda discusses three models, including the “cultural web” concept, and how it may be necessary for you to also look at the style of the culture in our organisation in order to get the best results.
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- Schemings Model Of Organisational Culture
- Understanding The Cultural Web
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources: https://actus.co.uk/free-performance-management-resources/
- Actus Software resource particularly relevant to this podcast:
- Infographic: Influence Change
- Latest Performance Management Blog
- Change Superhero Resources:
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
- Certainly, culture often operates on a subliminal level. Therefore, we are not always aware of it, and yet it influences us greatly in all areas of life. This is what makes it so powerful.
- Furthermore, the deepest levels of culture are the basic underlying assumptions. These are often invisible to us as they are so deep-rooted, but new starters and outsiders often pick up on them immediately.
- A culture can be so ingrained that it can hold back our company’s plans for growth. As a result, the best leaders are the ones who recognise that stepping back can benefit the organisation.
- Above all, to make a lasting change upon our culture, we need to look at the primary leadership embedding activities. Focus on the people as well as the product of our company.
- ‘Culture is the collective programming of the mind, distinguishing one group, or category, from another’
- ‘The function of leadership is the creation and management of culture’
- ‘They need to recognise that they’re the problem, and make that change or step away’
- ‘If you carry on reacting in the old way, you’re not going to effective in making a change’
About The Host
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. Certainly, it was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“When we look up we rise up”
- Join the HR Uprising LinkedIn community – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
- YouTube: Channel